Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fall TV review: Gossip Girl

Promise not to call children's services and/or my mother, okay?

I am, as I type, watching last night's Gossip Girl. My impressionable young daughter is in the room and currently staring in awe at Blair Waldorf.

Not that I can blame her, Blair is fabulous. I'm just hoping she is taking in the fabulous fashion of this show and not the general trampiness (or trampy-ness - does anyone know how to spell that?).

Speaking of trampiness, the father of Blair's baby was revealed last night and in the worst news ever to be voiced-over by Kristen Bell, it's Prince Louis. And she was Veronica Mars, y'all, she's delivered some bad news, including the Season 2, Episode 1 break-up of Logan and Veronica.

But luckily, the episode left Chuck-Blair fans with a little bit of hope that maybe the kid is a BASS-tard after all when Blair furtively slipped the baby-daddy-news into a drawer in her vanity. Of course that could be misdirection - if Louis were the father, it's not like she'd want to leave the paternity tests results out in the open for him to find. That's gotta raise some questions, although silver-tongued Blair could probably talk her way out of it.

Still, coupled with the fact that Blair seemed to have an epiphany after seeing GG's blast about Chuck and his dog, I'd say Mr. Bass isn't out in the "Who's the Daddy?" race quite yet.

Dan has been playing the role of Blair's own personal Maury Povich this season and for the first time in years, I'm actually finding Lonely Boy interesting. I know there are many fans out there who think Dan and Blair have significant romantic chemistry - I don't see it but I fully admit to being a Chuck-Blair fan (I know, I know, Chuck's an ass but despite the fact that I am happily married to a Good Guy, I always root for the Bad Boy - it's fiction, I'm allowed my guilty pleasures).

Even more surprisingly, I'm interested to see how Dan's book plays out. As a writer, I've always wondered how people would react if I wrote a book - would they look for themselves in my characters? Be mad about how I portrayed someone who fills their role in my life?

Chuck's storyline the first couple episodes bored me to pieces but with his reaction to Blair's pregnancy, I'm finally intrigued to see what happens to him again. He's been on the road to redemption so many time - I'd like to see him get somewhere with it this time.

Oh yeah, Serena and Nate were in the episodes too. I apparently didn't care enough to remember what they were doing but my notes say "Liz Hurley always looks like she's smelling something foul." You'd think she'd be a little happier to have someone as pretty, charming and let's face it, kinda dumb, as her newest boy toy. But I hate the way they are portraying her character: TV shows seem to always be making journalists out to be unethical, devious creatures. The truth is most of us are too busy to try to figure out ways to hack into phones and when we're not too busy we're usually either too tired or too drunk. Sometimes both.

While in L.A., Serena ran into Ivy-Charlie and brought Ivy-Charlie back home with her. Ivy-Charlie promptly decided to blackmail her employer/fake mother who, frankly, had it coming. But I still didn't care enough about the plot line to write down fake mom's name.

All in all though, I'm interested in Gossip Girl again after mostly checking out for season four. I'll admit, Blair's baby drama and the fact that she's got the biggest storyline is a big part of it but I care about 3 out of the 5 main characters so I'd say we're doing pretty well so far.

What do you think of Gossip Girl so far this year? Do you think Louis is the father or is it a fake-out? Do you care?

UPDATE: Luckily, Lea stopped caring about Gossip Girl about 20 seconds later and promptly began trying to climb every single piece of furniture in our house. Congratulations, Blair Waldorf, this is your future!

No comments:

Post a Comment